Hormones and hormone levels in the body are a very important part of the nutrition and wellness journey. Hormones regulate many things and can affect many things if they aren't balanced correctly.
Even if you have your exercise and nutrition locked in, things like birth control, pregnancy, aging, stress and more can hinder progress all because of out of whack hormones.
Detoxifying your body, giving your liver a rest and correcting hormone imbalances can be done, but it takes effort, discipline and about 21 days.
First things to go are alcohol, caffeine and sugar. Detoxifying is done mainly through the liver, so it is a must to eliminate things that are overworking and stressing your live. So, bye caffeine, alcohol and sugar for at least 21 days.
Other things to be eliminated during this time would include - inflammatory fats (like vegetable oils) and foods that cause common food sensitivities like soy, corn, gluten and dairy.
Once you eliminate these things, focus on eating all this good stuff...
1) Vegetables. A lot of them. Organic if possible. Choose lots of leafy greens, brussels sprouts, cabbage, garlic, onion, broccoli and cauliflower.
2) Protein. Your body needs the amino acids from high quality protein to work through the detoxification phase. Choose grass fed beef, pasture raised pork, free range poultry and wild caught fish.
3) Healthy fats. These will help balance blood sugar and hormones. Think avocado, olive oil, coconut, olives, eggs and wild caught fish.
4) Water. Being hydrated is super important for the detoxification process happening in your liver. Shoot for at least 1/2 of your bodyweight in ounces per day.
Beyond making these nutritional changes, making some lifestyle changes will also be necessary. Stress, sleep, and exercise should all be considered and monitored.
- Be sure to check ingredients on all food labels as well as body product labels. Change to more skin safe products for hair and skin.
- Move! Exercise and movements gets your lymphatic system working and aids in the detoxification process.
- Use mindfulness practices like journaling, breathing practice, or meditation to help monitor stress and keep yourself grounded.
- Sleep is extremely important for detoxifying the brain and hormones like cortisol, melatonin and growth hormone balance out with more sleep.
While these things can help rebalance your hormones, it may take time depending on how damaged and out of whack they are. Also, if you are taking any sort of hormone replacement or are on birth control the progress that can be seen here will be affected.
Feel free to reach out with questions / concerns if you feel you need a hormone reset! Reach out to Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org