1 the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.
Gratitude. Living life in a positive way. Noticing simple pleasures and being thankful for them. Counting your blessings. However you want to define it, living a life full of it has some pretty awesome health benefits.
Research has shown that living a life full of gratitude can create a better quality of life. People who practice gratitude daily are happier, healthier and have less stress and better relationships.
Here are some ways you can practice gratitude everyday.
- Notice the small things. Notice the good that already happens in your life everyday. Things like waking up in a warm bed. Your ability to walk, see, hear. Having food to eat. Things we tend to take for granted.
- Celebrate the small things. Not only should you recognize the small things, but also celebrate the small wins daily. Don’t hold out for the big stuff. Be excited to the small accomplishments you do everyday.
- Be Positive. It’s easy to be grateful for the good things, but truly being grateful means seeing the good in the bad things too. Start looking at these situations and finding the good in them. What lessons can you learn? What opportunities can come from this?
- Keep a gratitude journal. Write a few short sentences each morning, and then again each night. Choose things you are grateful for upon wakening and reflect on what you were grateful for that day.
- Write a gratitude letter. Write a letter to someone that has had a positive impact on your life. Thank them for what they have taught you and for being a part of your journey.
Instead of waiting for a positive experience to happen, be grateful for the journey along the way. Focus on the positive things that happen everyday, big or small. Use these 5 steps to practice gratitude daily.